"One life on this earth is all that we get, whether it is enough or not enough, and the obvious conclusion would seem to be that at the very least we are fools if we do not live it as fully and bravely and beautifully as we can." ~Frederick Buechner
Monday, December 17, 2007
Christmas
I was obsessively checking my e-mail the other day. Trying to have some connection (or pseudo-connection) to the outside world. I have felt primarily overwhelmed with Christmas. Shopping for people I don't really know well, not having enough money to buy what I really want for the people I do. Also the memories of Christmas' past, as good and textbook as they are, hurt. A lot. It's a bittersweet time for me. So I'm reading nothing on a computer screen and my daughter comes and sits beside me. I glance over at her and she is holding a little Bible in her hand. This surprises me. She smiles and asks, "Can you read to me about Christmas, mama?" This also surprises me. So I stop. I stop the outside world from coming in. I stop thinking about the past. I stop. I open it to Luke and read about the Savior coming to save the world. Born in a manger. Scared shepherds and tens of thousands of angels singing. Peace on earth. My daughter doesn't make it through the whole story but that didn't bother me. I made it through the story and it brought me back to what really matters.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Amy. I spent some time reading your blogs this morning. That's something I rarely do, because I guess I just prefer sitting down across the table from someone and hearing about their life in person. I want you to know that I was blessed by your words. You really should write a book or something. Seriously. You have a gift with words, which really shows through in your writing. It's probably the closest I've ever felt to actually having a heart to heart conversation with someone when I couldn't actually touch them. I won't promise to visit regularly, but now I know that when I do, I'll be in for a treat. Thanks for this window into your world. Love, Lianne.
ReplyDelete