Thursday, March 13, 2008

A Real, Live Retreat

I went on a retreat this weekend. Typically the idea of a retreat does not bring up the most warm and cuddly feelings inside of me. In my little life, I have been on some really terrible retreats, I would call them anti-retreats. I have been on maybe one good one. This retreat was great...a real, live retreat. And now I'll tell you why:

1. The best thing about this retreat is that two of my very closest, kindred spirit friends were there: Amanda and Jessica. And we shared a room. And just so you know what kind of friends they are, they both decided to share a queen bed and give me a big, wonderful bed all to myself. They know my sleep (or lack thereof) issues and wanted to bless me. Not only that, but while we were there they watched out for me, enjoyed me, cared for me, laughed with me, danced with me, were unbelievably quiet getting ready so I could sleep in as long as I liked, and they shared a bottle of smuggled-in wine with me along with those amazing Cadbury mini-eggs. Yeah, they're pretty great.
2. There was also a three-hour period of silence on Saturday. Three hours. Total silence. For a mother of a shriek-screaming baby and an always on the go, extremely verbal, three-year-old this is, possibly, as good as it gets. Three luxurious hours of silence to listen, to sleep, to just be. I almost wept when the woman who was instructing us on those next silent three hours said something like: you can walk, you can read, you can do the stations set up for you, but sometimes the greatest form of worship is just to rest or to sleep. She got it. And I rested and listened and felt renewed.
3. We were served wonderful meals (tiramisu, croissant sandwiches, delicious brunch, etc.) and there was a coffee bar, with vanilla creamer, 24-7. Hello.
4. The Colorado mountains. Tucked away in a lodge with a big fireplace in winter and outdoor hot tub. Enough said.

How it appealed to my soul to get away and just experience some time by myself, and most importantly, time listening to the Holy Spirit. To retreat from the wonderful craziness that is my life right now and just stop. To make a place and time to meet with God. To, most hopefully, experience His love and care for me. And I was not disappointed.

I'm still processing through what I learned/heard at the retreat. And I'm a little bit grieving that my weekend there is over. The anticipation of it had gotten me through some difficult, early mornings and long, sicky days. (I have to give a "shout out" to my husband for not only taking care of the girls for two nights and days, but for doing so in a way that I never once worried about them, in fact I knew they were being loved on and enjoyed by their Daddy. Yes, they missed me, but not much. And I know that says a lot about you, Justin. So thank you.)

The word retreat means a period of seclusion, retirement, or solitude, to fall or draw back; withdraw or retire. My "drawing back time" was just what I needed, a gift from God, and I'm most happy to say, "Last weekend? I went on a retreat."

5 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! I'm so glad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and where can I sign up for the next one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what it was all about! I know it is not practical...but can we live together? I soaked up our time together like a sponge. Glad you got to "draw back" and that I got to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy it was everything you hoped for and more. You deserved it! And thanks for the shout out. Now let's start planning our next 'retreat'. I'm finally leaving a comment, can you believe it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i, too, snuck in wine on my last retreat. i mean, what's a "retreat" without a glass of wine?! i'm glad you got to get away. i'm going to follow your example - hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete