"One life on this earth is all that we get, whether it is enough or not enough, and the obvious conclusion would seem to be that at the very least we are fools if we do not live it as fully and bravely and beautifully as we can." ~Frederick Buechner
Tuesday, May 6, 2008
Little Movie We Watched
Justin and I rented Lars and the Real Girl and it was really good. It is a great picture of loneliness, compassion, community and acceptance (there are also some really funny parts). It leads me to wonder just how many people there are out there like Lars: lonely, isolated, desperate and dying inside. And what it would look like to be in relationship with someone like that. Anyway, I suggest you watch it and if you don't like it, don't tell me...I really don't want to know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm so glad you liked it! I watched it a couple of weeks ago and absolutely fell in love with it.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if you watched the specials, but there's this part where the writer of the screenplay said "what if we looked at people with mental illness and treated them with compassion and love" or something to that effect. It was so beautiful to see that played out in the film. I think I had tears in my eyes for 75% of it!
Hmm...I want to see it again!
we have this movie from netflix sitting on our shelf just waiting to be watched! perhaps we'll watch it tonight!! now, i really can't wait.
ReplyDeletefinally watched it last night. loved it. it's hard to picture that level of compassion for one person. as we were brushing our teeth afterwards, i turned to ryan and commented, "that would never happen. no community would ever do that for just one person." ryan simply replied, "in a small community they would." i am too cynical these days.
ReplyDeletei'll rent it on netflix, and i just have to say that you are too cute! i miss you! ms
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good flick. I'll have to check it out. Gosh, I miss that kind of dialogue.
ReplyDeleteWe are living in Warrensburg, MO. Looking for a good female counselor to hire at my church. You and Justin should move here. :)
Your two girls look adorable. How fun. What are you and Justin doing these days?
We'll be back in Denver next week for Stephi's graduation. She got a degree in Music Business at UCD.
Blessings. Ben
don't know if my email shows up on that comment or not. It's marriagecounselor@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteamy- thanks so much for the heads up on a great movie! I loved it so much; I watched it three times in a row. Each time I watched it I got something more out of it. A great movie I will tell others about as well... thanks again! ms
ReplyDelete