"One life on this earth is all that we get, whether it is enough or not enough, and the obvious conclusion would seem to be that at the very least we are fools if we do not live it as fully and bravely and beautifully as we can." ~Frederick Buechner
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
permission slip
Amelia asks me what I want to be when I grow up, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but the more I obsess about that, the more frustrated and impatient I become at where I am now: a stay-at-home mom with two beautiful and fast-growing girls. So I decided the other day to give myself a sort of permission slip. This "permission slip" states that I give myself permission to continue to dream and desire. Permission to know what it is I feel God calling me to do, and to continue to make steps (albeit small) towards that calling. But even more, I give myself permission to enjoy and live today. To do what God has put right in front of me and to be passionate, truly passionate, about being a mom, loving those around me, being here...right now. I give myself permission to stop being jealous when someone else is (my silly interpretation here) living my dream or having some perceived greater impact or just doing things better than I feel like I'm doing. I don't want to live someone else's life, I want to live mine, and I want to live it in freedom and in joy and truth. And I know, I know, that someday soon I will give anything to see those little bodies running in the backyard, to hear their voices filling our home, to feel them crawl into bed with me in the wee hours of the morning. I know I will continue to struggle, to feel trapped at times, to be frustrated, but I know that already I feel lighter and a new sense of freedom: freedom from the expectations I have put on myself and freedom in believing God has me right where He wants me. And I'll keep reminding myself over and over until I finally get it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for the much-needed reminder, Amy. I want a permission slip, too!
ReplyDelete(Why is it so hard to be present w/ our kids sometimes? And why is it so easy to find myself up to my eyeballs in jealousy over what some other mom is getting to do??)
For the love.
Great, great post friend! I love your heart and can totally relate. Thanks for voicing what so many of us SAHM's feel!
ReplyDeletegood for you. that's awesome. enjoy the new freedom!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Amy. This was beautiful and so full of life. I feel exactly the same way so often. (and I don't even have any kids yet!) Peace for your journey and courage to remember your words this day.
ReplyDeleteI really like this amy... beautiful and expressive words!
ReplyDeleteAmen. Bring Heaven Down.
ReplyDeleteLove you all so much-
Charlene
Beautiful...as always. I have a feeling that some day we will look back on this time and see what a great impact we had...and what God was preparing us for in the future. What freedom to know that all that is required of me is to pursue him right here, right now, and then to trust that he is using that to bring about the good plans he has for me now and in the future. I'm glad he's got my back.
ReplyDelete