Thursday, December 3, 2009

advent

I had the privilege to teach at our church Sunday evening. And when I say "teach" I mean preach, as in, behind the pulpit. This was a big deal for me for so many reasons and I must say I really loved sharing my heart with my church family. They are so gracious and kind and good. Here is a little of what I shared:

As we enter into this advent season: What is it that we are waiting for? Presents, food, time with family, time off of work? Or is it something bigger. Something wilder, something new. What if we would stop. Stop and hear Mary’s story. Or if we could look through Mary’s eyes and really see. Can you hear it? The stillness of snow falling, really listening to the words of O Holy Night, wishing a stranger Merry Christmas with a knowing look in your eye. Can you see it? It’s in the beauty of our snow-dusted mountains, in the simplicity of nativity scenes, the joy and delight of our children, even in the stars on top of so many decorated trees. It is in the person ringing the Salvation Army bell in the freezing cold, it’s in sacrificing some so that others have something, it’s looking people in the eye and telling them you love them or that you are listening or that you care. Advent is taking time, a precious gift, to stop and soak in what everything is pointing towards, whether you are one who believes it or not.

Can you hear it? Can you see?


Christ is coming.

8 comments:

  1. love it! thanks for helping us remember the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful. well said! wish i could have heard it all. thanks for the reminder to REMEMBER the importance of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds wonderful, Amy. I know it was awesome! Missing you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. can we hear the rest of your talk? i loved it! xoxo ms

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could have heard it. Will it be posted online?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Matt said your talk was amazing! I was so sad to miss it that night when I had to stay home with a sick little one. :(

    ReplyDelete