These feel like dark days. Maybe January is partly to blame - it has been cold and cloudy and all that ugly brown that seems to latch on to any joy left over from Christmas. And in the midst of the dreariness hard things are happening: friends are struggling in their marriages, another friend is lost and alone, my Mom, hundreds of miles away, is having trouble with her heart, a mom in Amelia's preschool class miscarried twins, and a friend's (in my dear women's small group) mother died two nights ago. And there's more.
I don't expect things to get much better. And I'm not being a pessimist here...this is life. Life in a fallen world where nothing is as it was created to be. True, there is beauty, joy, love in the midst of all of it. But how much time we spend pretending things are better than they really are. Pretending we don't need God or a Father or a Savior.
I've been known to be a skeptic now and then. It is not my favorite place to be. I think, for me, it is a place born of pride and doubt and it manifests itself in some ugly, lonely ways. So here I am in the middle of things wondering where God, our Father, is in the midst of all of it. And something is different.
This time around I can feel it and I believe...God is here.
Oh, Amy. These are such true words and amazing how timely they are as I'm planning a worship gathering around the story of Job. But, I love that you are seeing hope in the midst of pain. I can't wait to read part 2!
ReplyDeleteHe is, He is, He is...How precious it is to sense his nearness in dark days. See what I meant all those months ago...there is a deepening that happens when we walk through the dry and dusty parts faithfully. And you soooo did, friend. Love you.
ReplyDeletei needed this post right now, at this very moment. you are amazing. thank you. and i am praying for aunt arlene. love you amy!
ReplyDeleteThe midnight vale I had to pass through,
ReplyDeletebut as the shadows round me drew -
So did You.
Love & prayers -
Charlene