Wednesday, May 8, 2019

my only comfort in times like these

My prayers are with the Highlands Ranch STEM families and grieving the loss of one very heroic young man, Kendrick Castillo. 

Our schools were on lockout for several hours yesterday.  I could hear the sirens at the STEM school as I stood outside our elementary school and I just prayed and prayed for all that was unfolding there.  Parents had been told to stand away from the building and to wait patiently until the all-clear was given. The waiting was difficult.  We then had to form a line and walk to the classrooms where we showed our ID’s, signed our names, and were then given our children.  The anxiety, fear, frustration from pretty much everyone was evident.  This was the third lockout for our school in the past thirty days.  Lily just kept asking me, “What’s happened?  What’s happening?” as we hustled to the car through the pouring rain. I was asking the exact same thing: What. Is. Happening.  

I am deeply troubled by the amount of courage it took to send my girls to school this morning.  I want to march, I want to protest, I want to scream.  How is this the new normal?  Today, I weep for what is and for so much brokenness and loss. 

These are the times I cling to Jesus with my whole heart while, as a parent, I am scared out of my mind.  What once felt like an irrational fear feels like something else and it is a strange and terrible reality that I am questioning my girls' safety at school.  This morning I could only offer them the truth.  The real Truth.  I gently reminded them that Jesus is with them.  I simply said in the most hopeful, non-dramatic tone I could muster, “Remember.  No matter what, Jesus is right there with you.  He is with you all the time, everywhere, in all things, in every moment. Okay?”   Then I watched them walk out the door.

I pray for my daughter’s protection each day.  A prayer, a plea when what I really, truly want is a guarantee for their safety.  I want to know they will be safe and looked after.  And I want to pray the prayer or make the deal that will make it so.  Right this second my only comfort is that in the school drills, in the lockouts, lockdowns, or worse, Jesus will be with my daughters.  My most desperate hope is that they will remember this, and not only remember, but feel his presence with them.  That he will hold and comfort them when I cannot be there.  That he will bring them peace and they will know Love when my words cannot reach them.  I cling to the promise that nothing can separate them from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither fears for today nor worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate them from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate my girls from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord. 

I continue to tell myself this over and over again and ask Jesus for it to be enough for my mother’s heart.  I pray for all those affected by too many school shootings and I try to stay busy.  I am trying to not count down the hours, minutes, seconds until my children are home again and I feel as though they are safe from school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment