
As of yesterday, I have been married to one Justin R. Walker for ten whole years. I wonder how that is quite possible as I still feel relatively young and we are still quite relatively "in love." I know how difficult marriage is and can be. My parents divorced soon after I graduated from high school. Translation: I take marriage very, very seriously. And so does he. I think about how young we were ten years ago. How we made these outrageous vows not knowing the road that was ahead, but knowing with all of our hearts we'd be traveling that road together. United, as one. I was old enough in my heart that day to know we wouldn't always feel in love, to know that possibly someone or something would one day catch our eyes and we would have to choose again each other, to know that life would not work according to our "plans", that I would possibly wake up one morning and feel trapped or very much alone. But I also knew that bigger than all of those things was the story of marriage. The importance of vows. Sickness and health. Life and death. Redemption. And that the beauty of marriage is that it deepens over time. You think the whole courting/romance stage is the high point, the wedding, the celebration...but it's not. It is the lower then lows when you hold each other close in the night, it is looking my worst and him seeing me underneath it all, it is choosing to love again and again when this world says to give up, it is remembering the most life-giving, precious times as husband and wife and looking forward to a beautiful future with that same man, my soul mate, by my side. The beauty of marriage is that after ten years I can honestly say that I would walk down that aisle all over again and marry that fresh-faced, bright blue-eyed boy looking all excited and nervous in his black tuxedo. In fact, I would sprint down the aisle to get this whole adventure kick-started. And now that I have a whole ten years of marriage under my belt, I believe I can quite honestly say that being married rocks my world. (Happy 10th Anniversary, Justin, my love. This one is for you.)
I remember you two crazy kids looking like that! It seems like yesterday, right? And I have to say, even then, we all knew you guys would go the distance. You've always had that something amazing.
ReplyDeleteI'm so proud of you. So honored to have stood there with you. And so inspired by the real life and real love that you have. You guys have always inspired me.
Congratulations. Happy decade anniversary! I love you both.
Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI love the way you guys love each other. It is one of the good things in this world.
I wish we could have been around to pop some bubbly or something!
Beautifully said, Amy! Your marriage is a testimony to God's love for us, and how serious he takes his convenant with us. It is a reflection of him and I know him better because of it. Thanks!...and congrats! I hope you made some sweet hot chocolate to celebrate!
ReplyDeleteThis is totally random, because you don't even know me - but I ran across your blog today and wanted to tell you, what a beautiful post on marriage. You obviously are really blessed.
ReplyDeleteI am a friend of a friend of Traci's, and also happen to live in Colorado, so Hi!
amy. what beauty and truth. i love these reminders of god's plan. his is so much larger than mine, and so much richer. cheers to you and justin! continue the celebration!
ReplyDeletehappy anniversary, amy & justin! we love you! molly, ryan, aidan & delia
ReplyDelete