Amelia is now four and she loves ballet. I'm not sure where this passion came from, neither Justin nor I are huge ballet aficionados, but Amelia, well, she loves to dance. She "ballets" down the center of Nordstrom's as we head into the mall (we specifically use this entrance because they have an actual pianist playing a grand piano), she leaps and pirouettes to the music overhead at the grocery store, and she dances with great passion and abandon during our family worship gatherings (down the center aisle, no less). As my friend Amanda posted months ago, I wish I could bottle up this confidence and passion that she so freely exhibits and spill it out for her later when life gets hard(er), when other kids may look strangely at her for doing something so passionately, for all she'll come up against just for living connected to her heart. One great thing I've noticed from all this ballet craziness is my desire to really listen, love and know my children. Maybe Justin would have picked a great love of basketball for her, or I would envision her practicing away on a violin...but here she is, her own unique, amazing self, loving ballet and dreaming of the day she can wear "toe shoes" and be a real, live ballerina. So instead of nudging (or pushing) her into something else, we see her and she'll start ballet lessons in September. If I do only a couple of things right as a parent, one I hope for is this: to see my daughters and, in the seeing, to love them...just as they are.
Isn't it wonderful that we all have our special gifts! I wish all parents would see those special gifts as you and Justin do... Way to go Amelia! Since we can't bottle up that confidence and passion, we'll remember it for her, and remind Amelia the days she needs it- and remind her that it's okay and even good to posses.
ReplyDeletehats off to you guys for letting her live her dream! it looks like she's made for it...so precious! looks like we'll be seeing you in october, btw...yay!
ReplyDeleteThis picture is so beautiful. It looks like she has been doing ballet all her life...maybe in some ways she has! What beautiful words, too. Happy birthday to Amelia, and to you, Amy. That day was a big one for you, too!
ReplyDeletewhat a beautiful picture. She's so sweet! let us know how she does in her class!
ReplyDeleteSuch a very sweet photo! I look at it and can still hardly believe that we have children. What a blessing...and to have parents that spur them on in what they enjoy, awesome. love and miss you...wish we could get together for a playdate and coffee
ReplyDeleteHi Amy!
ReplyDeleteI found your blog through Amanda's blog! I hope you don't mind me 'eavesdropping'.
This is such a sweet picture of Amelia! Grace loves ballet too and we signed her up for a 6 week dance class at the rec center that starts next week. I think she is going to love it. Where did you find the adorable leotard, tights, and shoes?
Take care!
Love,
Jen
www.honeycuttfamily.blogspot.com
Totally beautiful. Wow. Brought tears to my eyes to see one fully be herself.
ReplyDeleteAnn led a great women's retreat this weekend called The Ultimate Makeover. She held it at a spa just outside KC. All those themes are bouncing around inside.
She just came down and thinks the your daughter is beautiful and hopes she always remembers this beautiful part of her.