"One life on this earth is all that we get, whether it is enough or not enough, and the obvious conclusion would seem to be that at the very least we are fools if we do not live it as fully and bravely and beautifully as we can." ~Frederick Buechner
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
A New Year
For some reason, I have been especially struck by the newness of this year. Maybe as I grow older, as I settle into myself more, I am becoming more aware of the things I want to leave behind. Things I want to leave back in 2008 and not carry with me into this new year of '09. Things like expectations (both mine and others), guilt, fear, cynicism, excuses. The list could go on but those are some of the things that pop right into my mind. I do not want to enter into this new year burdened and weighed down...I want to be full of things like hope and love and joy and freedom. Words that have become overused and jaded but that is part of why I am leaving my cynicism behind. I am still trying to figure out what this year will be for me...I have a feeling it is going to be the Year of Joy. My pastor spoke about living in grateful joy. I like that. The Year of (Grateful) Joy. Sounds ambitious, right? I am not entirely sure. It does feel like I am setting myself up for something awful but I think that is just the fear talking. Joy is one of those fruits of the spirit I have been missing out on and I am tired of that. I long for joy and I think it is all around me, I have just been too tired or too cynical or just had too many excuses to reach out and grab it. So here I go, into the Year of (Grateful) Joy and I wonder: what are you hoping this year will be for you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
adventure.
ReplyDelete...and i think if i keep my perspective right I'll have no problem finding that in our life :)
Amy - I love this and am so excited for the Year of Joy. I hope and pray that it truly is. As for me, this is a conversation better had in person, but I guess what I hope for is that this is the Year of Restful Contentment...whether in plenty or in need.
ReplyDeleteI'm joining your sweet friend Miska in her 'Year of Release'. Google won't take me to you, but it will go to her and I can link to you-I could've written her last post-just not as well. I need to toss my emotional baggage and garbage, and no doubt it will also be a year of joy.
ReplyDeleteI also want to be more like your pretzel lady, and the guy at the truck stop last week who gave my girls five dollars so they could buy any drink they wanted, I must have looked like a skinflint or something. Love you all.