Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Age of Parenting

One thing I know for sure about having kids is this: they age you. There is no doubt about it. If you want to age, and age rapidly, have children.

I know I wasn't aging anywhere fast when Justin and I decided to start a family. I was a young-faced beauty, full of hope, desire, with a bright and youthful future. (Now, of course, I know what I really was: well rested and relatively sane.) It took less than one year after Amelia was born for me to get gray hair. Seriously, gray hair and girl number two worsened the matter exponentially. I am going gray and I most definitely blame that on having children. I also get "checked out" a lot less than I used to. I am still unsure as to whether that has to do with my aging, haggard face or the knock-off Ugg's with sweatpants, while toting two fairly dirty children...it's a toss up either way.

This is one of those deep, dark secrets nobody tells you about before kids, along with there is no such thing as sleeping through the night, winter is basically a season of runny noses and sickness, and three is even worse than the terrible two's. But what are you supposed to say? Yes, have children, lots of them and then prepare to get old. And fast.

I'm sure, scientifically speaking, the aging process slows down somewhere around the time they turn five or six years old and maybe one can recover some of the youth that was lost in the toddler/preschool years, but just when you're gaining ground it happens: they become teenagers. That is when I pretty much plan on kissing whatever is left of my youth goodbye.

Of course, it is heartbreakingly worth it. Most of the lines on my face come from smiling and laughing so much. It is worth it, without a doubt. But the next time you wonder how your mom got old so fast, remember this: she had you.

6 comments:

  1. ha ha...what a great post. and so true! I went SO gray when I had delia! amy, you are still so beautiful! you wear mommyhood well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ha ha! You crack me up! Thanks for making me laugh. I do feel much older, but as you said, it's so worth it! Here's to getting all night's sleep pretty much every night - in a few years - for a few years. AND, you are such a beautiful, youthful mamma :0)

    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. umm...not a mom yet, but the day after I turned 30 (I swear) there were suddenly more gray hairs on my head then I could realistically pluck! Am I totally going to be gray by the time we get our kiddo in a couple of years? Yikes!

    By the way, my dear, you are every bit as gorgeous today as you were when we were silly teenagers. I love, love, love that photo of you and Amelia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are you talking about?!? I think having children made me way hotter, I've never missed a night of sleep, and the one or two times that my kids have been sick in the last five years has only been a good opportunity to stop everything I am doing,cuddle up with their feverish bodies, and tell them how much I love them. It is all glorious! I'm sorry it's not been the same for you.

    P.S. I can have Loren check you out if it makes you feel any better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, Amanda's kidding, right?

    Two things: 1. LOVE the picture. 2. Hate to say this, but the aging process does not slow down once your kids turn 5 or 6. You just get a different set of "issues." I have crow's feet now around my eyes. CROW'S FEET!

    Wouldn't trade those wrinkles for the world, though.

    Here's to motherhood and to one of the all-time best moms I know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA! And do you know what happened to me? I lost all my Kristy-baby-number-three weight and then I turned around and what do you know? I'd gained 15 pounds. I'm trying to come to grips with this. Do I want to starve or be fat and happy? Also I turn 30 this summer so I am CELEBRATING my last year of youth and keep telling my husband that I want to do something AWESOME to remember year 29 by and you know what he suggests? Have another baby--Ahhhhh!
    Oh how I love my sweet little
    girls. Love you beautiful! (do NOT wear sweat pants.)

    ReplyDelete