Some homes try to hide the fact that children shelter there,
Ours boasts of it quite openly, the signs are everywhere,
For smears are on the windows, little smudges on the door, I should apologize I guess for toys spread on the floor,
But I sat down with the children and we played and laughed and read, And if the windows do not shine, their eyes will shine instead,
And when at times I'm forced to choose the one job or the other, I want to be a housewife, but first I'll be a mother.
I grew up with this poem hanging on our kitchen (well, my Mom's kitchen) wall. I know now that this is something she lived by. I never gave it much thought until I became a mother myself. And let me just say that I don't particulary want to be a "housewife" and that I am basically burnt out on all things domestic related. But I do believe in making a house a home and having a spot on this earth that one can rest and simply be. And I am learning how to balance that all out. Learning how to live with the mess, with the chaos, and creative disasters, and to see that as an important part of making a home, especially a home with children. This was something my Mom did beautifully and I would be wise to follow in her footsteps.
I LOVE this! It is quite easy for me to get caught up in what needs to be done, while time continues to pass, and my little girl grows a little older each day. Many times, at the end of a day, I realize my busyness kept me from enjoying much more with this precious one. I'm getting better at leaving the mess and enjoying, but it's still a bit of a struggle! Thanks you for this post...love you, friend :0)
ReplyDeletethat is one serious lego houseboat :)
ReplyDeleteYou're a great mommy...and your home is always such a comfortable and inviting place for me and my little ones.
ReplyDeleteCall me. Seriously.
Just a 2 days ago I broke down because I couldn't keep up with keeping my house clean (um, or finding the mystery smell) since bringing Millie home. I felt so overwhelmed.
ReplyDeleteBut then I read this...and thought about my beautiful little girl and how well she's doing. I think the house can wait.
Love it Amy!
We had that poem at our house growing up too. And I totally live by it still, since it relieves my guilty conscience about my horrendous lack of housekeeping skills. Way to go Amy!
ReplyDelete