Saturday, July 10, 2010

curves

I am sometimes just a little bit irritated at the double standard in swimwear for men and women. Why is it that men get to be covered up and women are expected to have teeny-tiny triangles covering their boobs and walk around in, basically, panties? I was venting all this, once again, to my husband and he gently said something like, "Well, men wouldn't look near as good walking around in bikinis...they don't even look all that great in speedos. Your body, a woman's body, is simply more beautiful."

And it got me thinking. First of all, he's right. There is a reason the female form has been worshipped, adored, painted, sculpted all these hundreds upon hundreds of years. It is...we are something beautiful, intoxicating, breathtaking to behold.

Secondly, I am not talking about our culture's standard of beauty here, people. I am talking about the female form as a real, live woman. This means with curves, poochy tummy, wrinkles, cellulite, stretch marks, wide hips, narrow hips, breasts, barely breasts...I mean it all. I am talking about the imperfect female form that tells the story of where we've been, who we are, how we live, who we love.

And so this summer I have decided to wear my swimsuit proudly (as best I can) and embrace the things that make me an imperfect, yet beautiful, woman. And, fellow females, I hope you will too. I hope you will put on your swimsuits and walk with your head high, regardless of shape or size. For the love, we are all so freaking beautiful in our own way just by being a woman. And by illuminating the uniqueness each of us carries inside. We owe it to the world to not hide what we've got, to give off a little more confidence, and to re-teach our culture, and our daughters, the true definition of beauty.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Amy! Love your prophetic voice.

    And, ummm, are you prepared for the consequences of walking around knowing how fabulously beautiful you are? A woman who owns her beauty is apt to have the men running wild in the streets. =)

    Recently finished reading a great book entitled Women, Food, and God. It was inspiring. . .acceptance is my word these days, acceptance (and celebration!) of this particular body I live in and the desire to inhabit it fully. Here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for a great post! I have been struggling with the changes in my body as I "mature", and I am one of those that, with clothing on, one would ask "What are you talking about?" But I know the underneath "flaws", and I don't like 'em! Thankfully, I have a husband who thinks it's all beautiful. My great struggle lately has been with contemplating having a hysterectomy in the near future. It's silly, but one of my biggest concerns is gaining a bunch of weight! I was just talking to Corey about it last night, and reading this post today really encourages me in whatever may come with my outward appearance. Thank you, friend! You really have no idea how much I appreciate this...AND YOU! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this , Amy! I love the way you've given words to what should be our internal dialogue!

    I, myself, am flaunting my swimsuit as often as I can this summer with pride. My body doesn’t tell a story about giving birth but it certainly tells a story about having children and how they, at times, can make you wanna hide in the closet and eat chocolate. And…in all seriousness, it tells a story of a content woman who is too busy living and enjoying life to be bothered by counting calories.

    I love you and you're honesty and you're embracing of those things which have long since been asking to be embraced by us all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just passing by, but AMEN!!! I couldn't agree more and how society not only as a double standard when it comes to beauty, but the unrealistic view of a "natural" woman looks like! well said!!

    ReplyDelete