Thursday, March 9, 2017

poem #9

At Colfax and Lincoln
by Matt DeHarte

I am sitting at a bus stop,
Denver’s air cold and biting,
Waiting for the sunshine
To break clouds; fighting.
The flakes fall softly
On the dim lit street
Sparkling as diamonds
Before settling on moist concrete.

I am sitting at a bus stop
Hoping for a ride
To take me to a time I’ve known
On which my nature died.
A place where even in the darkest times
The sun will surely rise;
The last place it rumbles, stops
Before we reach paradise.

I am sitting at a bus stop
Listening for a sign –
To hear the hiss of squealing brakes
Of a driver who is blind.
When she stops, it’ll be for me.
She’ll motion me aboard.
The dark will rise from her sunken eyes,
I will cry out for my Lord.

I am sitting at a bus stop;
Staring at a gold domed face.
One light alone above me
As I practice being chaste.
I hope to God He’ll show Himself
Before my dreadful trip.
And maybe, I can buy His love
With some prized or shining gift.

I am sitting at a bus stop
With a skewed view of life.
This frigid city tundra
Cuts through layers as a knife.
And, the icy asphalt before me
Beckons that I run!
But, there is no transit with lesser fare
Nor Poverty’s crushing grip!
  
I am sitting at a bus stop
Holding my chalice full of guilt.
Every step before was wavering
Toward the City He has built.
But, this alone I know is true,
An aurora in my eye:
I hope to dance in jubilant couth –
Beyond shadow; Beyond time

No comments:

Post a Comment