"One life on this earth is all that we get, whether it is enough or not enough, and the obvious conclusion would seem to be that at the very least we are fools if we do not live it as fully and bravely and beautifully as we can." ~Frederick Buechner
Friday, January 4, 2008
1 of 2 Great Gifts
My husband did really good this year. He would admittedly say that he hasn't been that strong of a gift-giver the past couple Christmases (granted, we had a little bit going on, but still...). This year he came through like a champ. So I've been eyeing this tree photo holder from Pottery Barn and it finally went on clearance. It's a lot cooler than it sounds (it is from Pottery Barn, after all). One could add pictures to it's branches or I may just hang it up as is. The reason this is important to me is that trees have had great meaning in my life for a while. When my parent's decided to get a divorce there was only one book for teenagers in the Christian bookstore. I bought it and I read it. The thing I'll always remember is a story about a girl seeing her family as a tree and that the tree had been painfully uprooted. She was left looking at a great, big, black hole...a hole that had once been her whole family. A friend came alongside her and said that someday she could plant a new tree and then have a bunch of little trees shooting off beside her...the legacy of her family. I held onto this thought for a long time. And now. Now Justin and I have planted our own big, strong tree. And we have little "new-life" branches shooting off! And our roots are deep. So this "tree photo holder" means a lot to me. I'm glad it will remind me of what I have, instead of the whispers that tell me all I am missing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment