Sunday, January 13, 2008

Just a Suggestion

Do not get on a scale after the holidays. Really, don't do it. I finally dragged myself to the rec center last week after taking a break over the holidays. I was a little irritated to find things so much busier than before (all those people who were now resolving to start exercising again in 2008 - just stop already and give me back my normal gym!). One thing about me is that I am not a big fan of the exercise. Or the weight-lifting or anything really having to do with a gym in general. I love to walk (not jog) and bike (leisurely) and I love to swim (especially when it involves a magazine, cherry coke and a floatie). In all seriousness, my favorite part of working out is being finished with it and the satisfaction that I am on my way to a healthier, better-feeling, me. So I'm finished with my mind-numbing elliptical and my sit-ups and weights and there, all shiny and glowing in the corner, is the scale. The insane thought that perhaps after doing nothing but sitting around over the holidays, and eating yummy holiday food like fudge, breads and lil' smokies, I will still have managed to either lose a few pounds or "maintain", enters my little head (I am breastfeeding after all!). Well, I was hopelessly deceived by that tricksey little scale to which I muttered, "Happy New Year to me" and gave it a little shove.

Now my favorite part of working out (besides being over) is my wonderful reward when it is done. The thing is, God so graciously left one aerobic room empty and dark and quiet for me to spend some time at the end of each trip to the gym. I found this room the first time I went and it was incredible the feeling of entering a quiet place in the midst of so much noise and activity (my life these days). So every visit there I spend extra time stretching and relaxing, giving my body rest and reward for all the extra work it does like lifting small, but heavy, children, staying on my feet too long, bending down to pick up toys and clothes (more on that later), and supplying nourishment for a baby, just to name a few. And I get to spend time just being quiet. The walls must be extra thick because it is so still there and I stop to listen and pray and be. And I thank God that He can be found at the most unexpected places, even places I don't really like to go. Who would have thought? Peace at the rec center.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally see you shoving the scale--so funny! I'm glad you've found a little oasis of quiet in the unlikeliest of places.

    ReplyDelete