Saturday, October 18, 2008

And finally...Part 3 of 3

The last of our trip was spent near Boise with my Mom. We were pretty worn out by this time and so it was wonderful to be spoiled by my Mom in all sorts of great ways: cooking, letting us sleep in, constantly entertaining the little ones, me taking long showers, going to movies. I soak up every bit of it.

We also got to spend some wonderful time with my Mom's family. It was great to share memories together and to just be around some loving maternal women. The older I get the more I appreciate the wisdom of my Mom and my Aunts, listening to their stories, soaking up not only the words but the ways in which they talk, laugh, tear up and cook all at the same time. It is inspiring. I also got to spend time with my beautiful cousin Molly, who lives in Seattle, and meet her newest member: smiling Delia. We had a lot of fun together and I left wishing we could meet up like this more often.




Just like that our time was over and it was back to Colorado. And now I will forewarn you: this blog entry is about to get ugly. Very ugly. The night before the big day of traveling Lily decided to party like it was 1999 until 2AM. That's two o'clock in the morning people. What you do with a one-year-old after midnight is beyond me, especially when you are not at home. It was a nightmare. Naturally, the next day Lily was as chipper and easygoing as ever (note the sarcasm here). We drove three hours to Salt Lake and then waited. Lucky for us the airport had a little play area that was just oozing germs and crawling with bacteria. There Justin and I sat with glazed-over eyes, desperately clutching our pumpkin-spice lattes, trying to stay awake and geared up for the big flight all at the same time. Another wonderful thing besides the germs, was that everyone flying anywhere passed us by. We got all sorts of great looks: the sympathetic look from parents or grandparents, the oh-how-sweet look from some, and the infamous I-wouldn't-be-caught-dead-in-that-germ-infested-hell-hole from so many others (they were mostly skinny people dressed in black). Fun times. But it doesn't end there...we finally boarded the plane and became the family you do not want to sit behind. Or in front of. Or anywhere near the vicinity. And did I mention the flight was right over nap time? And would my sleep-deprived, exhausted children sleep? The poor people sitting in front of us either got kicked in the back or an earful of Lily's heartwarming scream. And both girls were covered in sucker-sugar-goo along with a dusting of bright orange from the Cheetos. It was brutal, I tell you, brutal. As we finally climbed into our car and the Rocky Mountains welcomed us home, naturally, the girls both fell asleep. Immediately. Justin and I, well, we need a vacation.



4 comments:

  1. Ohhh Amy, that return trip does not sound fun! I hope next time it goes more smoothly--and remember not to rule out the benefits of a nice dose of Benadryl just before you get on the plane. Doesn't matter whether you dose yourself or the kids, somebody will get to sleep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post. pieces i loved:
    *how mom's family talks, laughs, tears up, and cooks all at the same time (how true)

    *desperately clutching our pumpkin spice lattes
    *skinny people dressed in black (!)

    ...*the last picture. of you. hilarious.

    love you, amy. wish we could do it more often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a funny picture. Drug testing may be in order. lol.

    Just wanted you to know that I used some of your words the other day with a woman I am meeting with. In Warrensburg, MO you are helping a woman grieve her parents divorce of many moons ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Amy...so sorry about the return trip! I too have heard a bit of Benadryl for the kiddos works wonders. Your description of the entire experience is quite amusing (although I know at the time, it was NOT), and the final pics - I laughed out loud! Ah, memories to look back on. . .

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete